Your career effectiveness will be influenced by the match between you as a person, your role and your work environment. Self-awareness and personal insight are key to good career planning and choices.
Your choice of work in medicine needs to fit and balance with other factors in your life and individual career aspirations also vary.
There is a wealth of career opportunity for doctors, including:
- Specialty Training in Primary or Secondary Care
- NHS and Specialty Doctor roles
- Academic, teaching or research careers
- Options in other settings
The following downloads and resources will help you to take stock of what you want in your career and to help you explore options.
- Medical training pathway
- BMA Cymru 'Career Path for doctors in Wales' infographic / Welsh language infographic
- Exploring Medical Careers for career planning and jobsearch / Exploring Medical Careers (welsh)
- Taking time out after F2 / Taking time out after F2 (welsh)
- Alternative careers resources / Alternative careers resources (welsh)
The HEIW Medical Careers and Foundation team career taster policy helps Foundation trainees understand the process for Planning a Career Taster, including a list of known Health Board career tasters. Foundation doctors can also approach departments directly. Foundation doctors exploring careers specifically in Public Health Medicine can explore further information here.
Visual and Virtual Resources
View videos and specialty leaflets providing further information with regards to the specialties: