Consultants, educational supervisors and local faculty have a key role to play in supporting trainees with career thinking and decisions:
- The GMC's "Promoting Excellence" standard (R3.2) states that trainees "must have access to careers advice and support". Educators providing career support can also use this as evidence for GMC Recognition of Trainers, Domain 6: Guiding Personal & Professional Development
- The Foundation Curriculum directs F1/2 doctors to "discuss how to achieve career ambitions with the educational supervisor"
- The HEE Medical and Dental Careers Strategy (2016) states that"doctors in training go to senior colleagues clinical and educational supervisors and consultants for careers advice and these groups should be trained and supported to give appropriate advice".
This page provides resources, guides and tools to help you develop a well-informed picture of the current landscape of medical careers and to structure your careers conversations with trainees. The other tabs in the Careers pages contain a range of documents, links and resources (Exploring and Planning, Jobs and Applications, Careers Guidance).
Where do you fit into the landscape of career support? See our interactive Career Support Navigation Guide - click on a role to see who can best help with different career needs. This short video will also help you to know the best people and resources to signpost trainees to, depending on whether they are Decided on their plan, Exploring options or Rethinking their career.
If you would like us to talk with a trainee who you think needs an impartial careers conversation, see our guide on Signposting or Referring a Trainee to Careers. They can contact us directly on email@example.com and can send (optionally) some background to us on this request form.
Destinations and career choices of medical graduates in Wales (2009): report based on career patterns of Wales medical graduates, drawn from longitudinal UK study: Welsh graduates proposal
The 2016 review by the GMC into improving career flexibility, with plans for change by 2020
CUROP – Findings from Wales Deanery research study into career impact of time abroad after F2: Time abroad study
Find out what GMC data tells us about career movements of doctors progressing through training
Read the annual GMC State of Medical Education and Practice report to see career demographics and trends
What do F2s do next? Annual UKFPO Destination Reports from 2012 onwards.
HEE Commissioning and Investment Plan: annual report, including latest data on likley increases/decreases in posts in England
Shape of training website - for news and updates
A range of studies by the UK medical research unit into aspects of medical careers, including longitudinal cohort studies
BMA cohort studies - tracking careers of a group of medical graduates from 2006
Careers conversation tools
Careers decision timeline - encourages structured reflection on past decisions: Career timeline
Career kitbag - helps focus on immediate decisions: Career kitbag
Push or pull - prompts reflection on current factors influencing career thinking: Push or pull
Career reflection pro forma - helps to guide students and trainees with career reflection on jobs or placements: Recording career insights
'How To' guides:
Internal (& Wales) links
Explore locations, health boards and hospitals in Wales
Find Welsh Government stats and data relating to NHS Health stats Wales.
NHS Wales Careers - hosted by WEDS, covering all health professions
External career support links
Health careers website: all aspects of UK NHS and medical careers, with a comprehensive section for doctors
BMA careers service - careers advice, support, resources, webinars for BMA members
Visual and virtual resources
Miss our annual update meeting on 14th March 2017 at The All Nations Centre? View speaker presentations and view their talks below:
- National Medical Careers Update: View talk by Sally Blake
- Careers Team activity 2016/17, trends in trainee need: View talk by Sally Blake & Rachel Mort
- Intro to NHS Wales Careers, WEDS: View talk by Charlette Middlemiss & Sharon Jenkins
- Why Cardiff Admissions changed to MMI: View talk by Prof Dave Wilson, Cardiff School of Medicine
- Medical Educators as Career Helpers: See Report Summary and view talk by Prof Alison Bullock, CUREMeDe
- Foundation Programme Update: View talk by Dr Tom Yapp
- Speciaty Training Update: View talk by Zoe Dummett & Katie McDermott
- GP Training Update: View talk by Mary Beech & Natasha Perry